Scooters are a must for most kids from a young age, and here’s why.
For a kid a scooter is a magical toy – it combines physical exercise, moving fast as the wind, skill-building, social interaction, and pure enjoyment. It’s not just about riding; it’s about fostering a healthy and active lifestyle from a young age.
It’s easy to point a finger at your kid for being inactive, glued to their smart devices, and reluctant to go outdoors. However, the real responsibility lies with us parents. We often fall short in coming up with imaginative ways to engage our children outdoors, so they stay at home. And then instead of using their boundless energy and love for adventure, they stay indoors glued to some zombi-making device. So, let’s try to cater to their adventurous spirits, and provide thrilling alternatives to the screens at home.
When should I get my child a scooter? What age is good for a scooter?
Generally, many children start showing interest in scooters around the ages of 2 to 4. The ideal time to get your child a scooter depends on their physical development, coordination skills and of course, your free time to support them learn riding it safely.
If you can check all these 5 boxes, it might be the right time to buy your kid a scooter:
- Motor Skills Development: Your child should have developed basic motor skills and coordination to handle a scooter. This usually begins around the age of 2 or 3.
- Balance: Riding a scooter requires a balance. If your child can walk steadily and shows an interest in trying new physical activities, they might be ready for a scooter.
- Safety Awareness: Ensure your child understands basic safety rules and can follow instructions. Teach them about wearing helmets and other protective gear.
- Supervision: Even if your child has a scooter designed for their age group, close supervision is crucial, especially when they are just starting.
- Physical Size: Choose a scooter that is appropriately sized for your child. Some scooters are designed for younger toddlers, while others are better suited for older kids.
It’s always a good idea to introduce the scooter in a safe and controlled environment, such as your backyard or a quiet park. Pay attention to your child’s comfort level and enjoyment. If they express interest and can handle the basic skills required, it might be the right time to introduce them to the joy of scooting!
What type of scooter you should get for your child?
In case you’re wondering what type of scooter you should get for your child, it depends on their age. For toddlers in the range of 2-4 years old, it’s best to get a 3-wheeled scooter. This age group still has some issues with balance so the additional wheel is very helpful. From 6 years old and up scooters on 2 wheels are just fine.
10 reasons Why are scooters important for kids
A scooter is one of the best ways to get your kid to leave the house than some physical activity. It’s good for their health, it’s fun, and outdoors is always much better for them than staying in. Indoor generation turns outdoor. Scooters are a must for most kids from a young age, and here’s why:
- Physical Exercise: Scooting is an excellent form of physical exercise, helping your child to stay active and to maintain a healthy lifestyle from an early age.
- Motor Skills Development: Riding a scooter enhances coordination, balance, and motor skills. In this way it contributes to the overall physical development of your child.
- Outdoor Exploration: Scooters encourage outdoor play. Kids can explore their surroundings further, appreciate nature, and experience the joy of open-air activities. Never lose them out of sight, however.
- Independence: Learning to ride a scooter fosters a sense of independence. Kids gain confidence in controlling their movements and navigating their environment. But as said, never lose them out of sight.
- Social Interaction: Scooter play often involves interaction with other kids. In this way it promotes social skills, communication, and cooperation.
- Screen Time Alternative: In our world dominated by screens, scooters offer a healthy and enjoyable alternative to reduce sedentary behavior and promote an active lifestyle. Let children have a normal childhood.
- Fun and Enjoyment: Scooting is amazingly fun for kids and brings them joy and excitement. It’s like buying a car for a kid (only that is more environmentally friendly and healthier for the driver (rider)).
- Skill Mastery: Mastering the art of riding a scooter is an important achievement for your child. It boosts their self-esteem and sense of accomplishment.
- Versatility: Scooters are versatile and suitable for various ages, making them a long-lasting and adaptable toy as kids grow.
- Family Bonding: Scooter rides can be a shared family activity, creating opportunities for bonding and creating lasting memories.
Scooters are not just toys; they’re essential for a well-rounded and active childhood in this screen dense era.
The Kid Scooter we tried
We tested the MCLAREN MCS02 KIDS SCOOTER and we love it! Now on sale during the holiday shopping season (2023). Great for ages from 3-6 and 6-9, this quality scooter is an excellent gift for your little one for several reasons:
Firstly, it promotes physical activity. It helps your child to stay active and healthy from an early age. Riding a scooter enhances motor skills, balance, and coordination.
Additionally, scooters provide a sense of independence and freedom. Kids love the thrill of zooming around on their own, fostering a sense of confidence and accomplishment.
Moreover, a scooter is a simple gift that also encourages outdoor play. In this way, you can easily reduce the screen time of your child and promote a more active lifestyle for your little one.
So, a scooter is not just a present; it’s a gateway to fun, fitness, and fostering a love for the outdoors in your child. Need some more active gift ideas for your child? Check those out!